Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Oatmeal & Shea Butter Lotion


While getting ready for bed tonight I put a little lotion on my hands and face as usual. I just bought some more lotion and this time its the Oatmeal & Shea Butter scent of St. Ives. The scent of this lotion took me back to a year ago.

I moved into my own apartment, first time living alone. There was a peace and solitude there that was deafening but yet very refreshing. I was free to be myself. Laugh at the Golden Girls' corny jokes. Wake up early and watch Good Morning America. Try out new recipes as I watched the Biggest Loser. The view of Huntsville from my bedroom was amazing... My first few nights there I turned off all of the lights opened the blinds and let the scene mesmerize me as I listened to Boyz II Men's Christmas CD. As I get another whiff of the lotion on my hands I remember treating myself to bubble baths every Friday night as a read a book or talked on the phone to a friend on speakerphone. When I was worn out from work I would turn my ringer off on my cell phone and hide in the safety of my apartment. I would surround myself with reasons to go the sleep just so that I could enjoy the peaceful quiet that was often present.

This lotion also brings to memory times that were not so pleasant and calm. Being awoken early in the morning to my neighbors fighting and my bed shaking because their room is right next to mine.. Or hearing noises in my apartment at night so loud that it awoke me out of my sleep and drew me to my closet to pray and hide. That particular night after waiting 2 hours to hear any more noises I walked out of my bedroom with my homemade weapons (a stiletto and 1 foot long peppermint stick) to find nothing out of place or anything wrong. Those were the days... Freedom to roam around my apartment naked without a thought or care about how my body looks. Freedom to laugh as loud as I wanted whenever I wanted to. I wonder if I could every have days that were better than those again?

Life experiences form memories that shape and mold me.. Who would have thought that Oatmeal & Shea Butter Lotion would hold so many memories for me.

What lotion should I get next?

1 comment:

Raquel said...

Hey Krys! Glad to see you are still writing. Im back on blogger (made a mental decision... havent actually started writing yet...working on that) So keep writing so I can stay interested!